Thursday, January 2, 2014

¡Food! A student perspective...

¡Hola Chicos and Chicas! This is Amy Jurczak. So Thompson handed me his iPad and said blog so here I am. One thing that I thought was really interesting about the trip so far has been the food. My first meal in Madrid was at a small sandwich shop called Rodilla. I got a "bacon huevo" and "agua mineral" (which is a bacon and egg sandwich and water for you non Spanish speakers). It only cost about 2€ which was amazing considering I spend about $6 on a Jimmy John's sandwich. 

That next morning when I went to breakfast, I was surprised to see an array of breakfast items, including sliced meat, sliced cheeses, quiche and pastries. My favorite item at breakfast has to be the Neapolitan Pastry, which is basically like a crossiant with chocolate in the middle. No joke, I've had about 15 of them this whole trip, but it's simple enough to understand why I love them so much. Weirder foods at breakfast include warm milk (if you don't get there fast enough) and cookies. I love Madrid breakfasts. 

For dinners, we have experienced the ultimate in European eating. One dinner that comes to mind is the dinner we had next to the "football" stadium. First we were served bread, which was hard as rocks but still delicious. About 15 minutes after sitting we were served two bowls of salad that one person could probably eat by themselves. I turned to the person next to me and I said, "Are we supposed to share that?" Followed by a "Yeah Amy it's Tapas". Gotcha. 15 minutes after that, we were served chicken strips and BBQ sauce, which to me was pretty American but still delicious. Maybe 20 minutes after that we had these potato breaded things, followed by our main dish of chicken, then finished by a vanilla tasting mousse that was very very very tart. Long story short, it felt like it took two hours to eat our meal because we had so much time in between. I liked it and enjoyed the experience. 

So, if you take anything away from my blog, it's that food here in Spain is, well, a new experience that is well worth a try. 

Addendum from mr. Thompson:
Many students have also experience churro  sand chocolate... It a cross between hot chocolate and semi sweet chocolate pudding. Very tasty....I had my first this evening...

No comments:

Post a Comment